Me climbing within the cave at boulderhouse, working on a green graded climb.
At the BoulderHouse using the toe hook technique. Photo by Kailee Purnell

The goal for this week was to work on some new techniques. Last time at the gym I was able to accomplish the use of the toe hook. I was working on a climb in the cave, and I was barely able to start it. Since I was having such difficulty with it, I decided to try a new technique. When I used the toe hook (which can be see in the attached photo) I was able to get farther on the climb than I had before. I have now got one step farther than I am in the photo. I am hopeful that next time I go to the gym I will be able to accomplish this climb thanks to my work with the toe hook, and my pull ups I have been practicing.

This week when I practice my pull ups, I was able to do three with the help of the light resistance band, and seven with the use of the heavy resistance band. I can still not do one without the help of the band, but it is exciting to see my progress. Thank you for checking in, see you next week!

Toehook (n) – A method of using the top of the toes or foot as the point of friction between the shoe and a climbing surface in order to balance or pull.

Friction labs